Monday, January 16, 2012

Luke 3-B “What then shall we do?”

S = Luke 3:10-14 “And the crowds asked him, ‘What then shall we do?’ And he answered them, ‘Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.’ Tax collectors also came to be baptized and said to him, ‘Teacher what shall we do?’… ‘Collect no more than you are authorized to do.’ Soldiers also asked… and he said to them, ‘Do not extort money from anyone by threats or false accusation and be content with your wages.’”

O = John the Baptist answered the repeated question, “What shall we do?” simply and to the point. Share with people, don’t take more than you should, don’t abuse your power by extortion—simple social justice issues that probably hit his audience right where they lived in selfishness, greed, and brutality. He called on them to repent (a change of mind & heart that produces a God-ward direction). It also seems that these are somewhat parallel to the temptations of Christ in Luke 4:1-13 over food, authority, and an extortion-like demand for a miracle.

A = How is my heart when I come to church? Who am I trying to please? What is my motivation? John challenged his audience to not play games with God but to only come for baptism if they were serious. Is there any area of my life, internal or external, that is not submitted to living and loving like Jesus? What one thing is He asking me to do today because I have been saved and forgiven?

P = Lord, help me to be generous even when I don’t have much; help me to be honest in my dealings and live under your authority, and may I be content with what you provide! May Worry and her cousin Schemer, not find a dwelling place in my heart today!

No comments:

Post a Comment