Sunday, February 19, 2012

Luke 5 “Little Obediences…Awesome Revelation”



When we were in Israel I had just a few minutes after the sun set to simply read this journal entry on the hill above the cove where this story most likely took place.

S = Luke 5:5-6, 8, 10 “And Simon answered, “Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets.” And when they had done this, they enclosed a large number of fish, and their nets were breaking… But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.”… And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” 

O = Simon the fisherman, for he was not yet a full-time follower of Jesus, after working all night w/o success gets stuck listening to Jesus’ teaching in his own boat. He couldn’t say “No” for he owed Jesus a favor for healing his mother-in-law. Then while he disagreed with Jesus over the putting out into the deep idea he still chose to obey.

A = I wonder how many blessings I miss out on because either I won’t let Jesus into my boat (my space), into my area of expertise, or I choose to not obey Him when He doesn’t make sense to me. Or do I push him away when his presence makes me aware of my deep failures and sinfulness? Jesus’ words in v. 10 are for me too, “Don’t be afraid!” He came to save sinners and give us a new mission. Instead of just working to put food on the table in the fish eat fish world, Jesus calls Simon, the self-described “sinner” to be a person who catches men alive… for the Kingdom of God. Jesus came to bring life to those doomed to die for their sins.
     It only takes small availabilities, little obediences and inconveniences, to open the door to great miracles of grace. Use of a boat, casting a net one more time, or sharing a lunch of bread and fish…simple surrender yielding awesome revelation!


P = O Lord, may I let you in the boat of my heart today. May I listen well, without distraction to what you tell me to do, and to do it trusting that you have my best in mind. May I be a part of your larger plan today, and this week. May I always remember that you know more about what I do than I do. May nothing hinder me from following you…whether feast, famine, or fear. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment