Wednesday, July 2, 2014

“Relational” A SOAP Journal Based on John 14 & Ephesians 4

S = John 14:15-17 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. 

Ephesians 4:30 “And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.”

O = Jesus, concerned for his followers as his time for death and departure drew near was that they might know that he wasn’t leaving them alone. The Father would at Jesus’ request provide the Holy Spirit (here called the Helper/Counselor; Greek “paraclete”) to dwell with them and in them. They would not be alone, but closer and more relational than ever before. This Spirit would bear witness of Jesus to them (John 15:26) and remind them of all Jesus had said (John 14:26)—think of the blessed memories that would be kindled in their hearts! The disciples were told to wait for the power of the Spirit to come (Acts 1:4) because they would not be able to be relational enough to change the world without God living in them. I include the seemingly negative command of Ephesians 4:30 in this devotional because it addresses this issue of relationship. We grieve the Holy Spirit when we separate ourselves from our relationship with him in our affections, our, thinking, and in our behavior. Such grieving of the Spirit is seen in how we relate to each other (v. 31-32).  

A = I know that there are times that I feel alone but through faith in Jesus Christ, I am not alone. The Father and the Son indwell me by the Holy Spirit! God is relational in his very being and has not pushed me away because of my sin. Instead, as an outpouring of his love, he has taken my sin upon himself so that I might be clothed in his righteousness. He has come to relate to me—yet I need to train myself to listen to his voice. The more I listen, the more I desire to obey in love and the less I desire to speak or do anything that would direct my heart away from his.  

P = O Lord, thanks for inviting me to be a part of your relationship of holy love. Open my ears to hear and believe what the Holy Spirit speaks to me today. Give me discernment to be able to separate your voice of love from the many deceptions and distractions of the world and my own will. May I not grieve the Spirit today, but embrace all that you have taught me and love you with all my heart…living not for myself.  And thank you for being my advocate when I fail (1 John 2:1). Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment